Accounting Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/23/2017
Mission College is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track instructor in the Accounting Department. The successful candidate will be qualified to teach a variety of courses in accounting. These courses may include Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Financial Auditing, Accounting Ethics, Income Tax, Payroll Tax, Financial Planning, and Computerized Accounting Applications. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to effectively teach using online or technology-based tools. In addition, the successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to interact with the business world to determine accounting needs and to help develop new curriculum to meet these needs.
Mission College serves a region of the San Francisco Bay Area that includes urban neighborhoods, business centers and residential communities. Nestled in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Mission College enjoys an entrepreneurial and innovative energy supplied by its closest technology and business neighbors, while continuing to maintain its quality curriculum offerings for transfer and under-prepared students. Applicants interested in teaching within an energetic, student-centered culture that looks to the future would find Mission College a perfect fit.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2017. Instructional assignments may include day, evening and online classes, Monday through Friday, as needed. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators and American Federation of Teachers (ACE AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $53,557 to $83,349 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in class activities, evaluation of studentsí work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes.
- Maintain accurate class and other records conforming with state requirements and stated district and college needs.
- Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, class and office schedules.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the appropriate instruction offices.
- Post and maintain office hours each week in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Office hours must be posted and filed in the division chairís office on or before the start of the semester.
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus, as per instructions in the Faculty Handbook, at the beginning of the course.
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the memberís area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice, and/or bias.
- Demonstrate positive communication skills within the college community.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, which are of value to the department, division, college and/or District such as: actively participate in the spirit of shared governance in department, division, college and district institutional responsibilities. Such responsibilities may include recruitment and hiring, class schedule preparation, budget development, performance appraisals, mentorship, supervision of support staff, student recruitment and retention, curriculum and program development and evaluation, program review, club advising, committees, accreditation, articulation, and other duties as assigned.
1. Education Ė Possess one of the following:
- Masterís degree in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration; OR
- Bachelorís degree in business with accounting emphasis, or business administration with accounting emphasis, or economics with accounting emphasis, AND masterís in business, business education, economics, taxation, or finance; OR
- Bachelorís degree in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration, with a CPA license; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructorís Credential in Accounting; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741Ė2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find postings of professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Description of and other job listings for West Valley-Mission Community College District