Counselor, Student Success and Support Program
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 4/12/2017
The Counseling Department at Mission College is now accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track counselor who shares our excitement for teaching and our commitment to excellence in education. We are looking for someone with a willingness to help our department grow and who will enjoy working with our diverse student body. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply. Two openings are available.
Mission College serves a region of the San Francisco Bay Area that includes urban neighborhoods, business centers and residential communities. Nestled in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Mission College enjoys an entrepreneurial and innovative energy supplied by its closest technology and business neighbors, while continuing to maintain its quality curriculum offerings for transfer and under-prepared students. Applicants interested in teaching within an energetic, student-centered culture that looks to the future would find Mission College a perfect fit.
This is a full-time, 11-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2017. Two openings are available. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators and American Federation of Teachers (ACE AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $53,557 to $83,349 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 11 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
- Master’s degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
- A bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Counseling; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling duties and responsibilities may consist of one or more of the following:
- Counsel and advise students, on both an appointment and a drop-in basis.
- Perform specialized work duties as necessary during registration periods.
- Provide formal in-service training.
- Participate in program/service development activities.
- Coordinate efforts of counseling faculty to complete Program Review and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
- Perform other duties as required for the department and/or college.
- Counselors may also be assigned to teach one or more counseling courses during a semester.
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, which are of value to the department, division, college and/or District such as: actively participate in the spirit of shared governance in department, division, college and district institutional responsibilities. Such responsibilities may include recruitment and hiring, class schedule preparation, budget development, performance appraisals, mentor-ship, supervision of support staff, student recruitment and retention, curriculum and program development and evaluation, program review, club advising, committees, accreditation, articulation, and other duties as assigned.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Description of and other job listings for West Valley-Mission Community College District
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...