Director, Leadership Innovation Lab
Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership
United States Naval Academy
Application review will begin on 2 October 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
The United States Naval Academy is a unique institution of higher learning located in desirable Annapolis, Maryland. As an historic officer accession program and premier undergraduate college, the United States Naval Academy has its own distinctive niche amongst American educational institutions. Our talented faculty and staff are united by one common purpose--to develop the next generation of leaders for naval service. In order to deliver on this promise to our nation, we recruit from all segments of society to find faculty, instructors, and support staff who model the highest professional standards.
Every year more than one million people tour "the Yard" to experience what our employees already know — the United States Naval Academy is a special place, with a special purpose. Those selected for employment will find challenging and rewarding work; state-of-the-art facilities which inspire academic and athletic excellence; the benefits of Federal employment; and exceptional quality-of-life.
The U.S. Naval Academy invites applications for the Director, Leadership Innovation Lab to begin as early as January 2018 in the VADM James B. Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership.
The mission of the Stockdale Center is to empower leaders to make courageous ethical decisions. The Leadership Innovation Lab will support this mission by helping the Naval Academy become the world’s leader in innovative ethical leadership development, preparing junior Navy and Marine Corps officers to succeed in a rapidly changing and increasingly complex world. The Lab will explore, discover, develop, test, and implement cutting edge theories, concepts, practices, and methodologies to ensure the Naval Academy graduates Navy and Marine Corps leaders prepared to protect the peace and win the nation’s wars in the 21st century. It will be a fusion center of thought and experimentation to determine how to strengthen, individualize, and accelerate leadership development by addressing the challenge of preparing new generations of leaders who absorb, process, and use information for making decisions and providing direction to others in a much different way than generations before them. Although the Naval Academy’s leadership development process has been successful in the past, current efforts will require significant transformation to ensure graduates are prepared for the volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous warfare environment they will encounter in the future. The Innovation Lab Director will provide executive leadership in establishing and guiding innovation efforts for this transformation.
The duties of the position include:
- Lead the Naval Academy’s Leadership Innovation Lab.
- Orchestrate and maintain alignment around the Leadership Innovation Lab vision with Naval Academy leadership and industry sponsor(s).
- Develop and implement a detailed strategy for establishing, managing, and advancing the Innovation Lab.
- Create and manage an innovation process for discovering, developing, testing, prototyping, and scaling ethical leadership improvement concepts.
- Develop a performance measurement system for the Innovation Lab.
- Identify and evaluate 21st century leadership and ethics core competencies, and conduct gap analysis relative to the seven graduate attributes currently contained in the Academy’s strategic plan.
- Develop and implement a 21st century ethical leadership improvement strategy based on the above gap analysis, in order to help guide innovation focus areas and resources.
- Liaison with other departments in the Stockdale Center to ensure synchronization.
- Develop and manage a business plan for Leadership Innovation Lab operations.
- Oversee the development and execution of the Lab’s gift and appropriated fund budgets.
- Coordinate with the Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation to support their efforts to obtain private funding for the Innovation Lab.
- Coordinate with Naval Academy cost centers and special staffs to facilitate Innovation Lab programs and activities.
- Supervise the Innovation Lab’s staff and coordinate internal administration, external contracts, and Lab special events.
- Build a collaborative network with internal and external partners across academia, industry, and government in areas including, but not limited to:
- Creativity research
- Practical moral philosophy
- Sociology of knowledge and networks
- Behavioral science
- Cognitive judgment and decision optimization techniques
- “Big data” analytics
- Intersection of technology and psychology
- Virtual training
- Modeling and simulation
- Applied artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Innovation frameworks, tools, and techniques
- Advanced pedagogical methods
- Interface with external organizations requesting support from the Academy in the field of ethical leadership innovation.
- Present ethical leadership innovation lectures and seminars for midshipmen, staff, faculty, coaches, professional military education schools, and other external organizations.
- Proactively identify evolving capabilities and changing conditions in the 21st century leadership and ethics landscape, and adjust the Lab’s
The U.S. Naval Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Expertise in innovation, collaborative problem-solving, group facilitation, leadership development, and organizational management
- Well-recognized for impeccable ethical conduct in high-level leadership positions
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Experience with research methodologies, advanced analytics, applied technologies, creativity enhancement,and entrepreneurial activities
- Experience interacting with high-level officials in the military, business, government and higher education
- Master’s Degree
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Terminal degree in a field related to leadership or creativity and innovation
- Senior civilian academic with administrative experience and current or past interactions with the military, or senior retired military officer with extensive operational experience
- Experience with donor development
All Civilian Faculty Positions at USNA are subject to a background investigation. These investigations are conducted to ensure that individuals hired are trustworthy, of good conduct, and reliable. More information about the background investigation process can be found at the Academic Dean and Provost’s website here http://www.usna.edu/Academics/Faculty-Information/Background-Investigation-Info.php.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, leadership and research statements, curriculum vitae, and arrange for three letters of recommendation that address both leadership and research abilities to be sent to Major Ryan Curry, Associate Director, Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership, United States Naval Academy, at Curry@usna.edu.
Applications will be reviewed beginning 2 October 2017 but the position will remain open until filled.
Submit a Demographic Information on Applicants Form to email@example.com. Your responses will not be shared with the panel rating the applications or to the official making the selection for this position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the United States Naval Academy and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Major Ryan Curry, USMC
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Major Ryan Curry, USMC
United States Naval Academy
VADM Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership
112 Cooper Road, Luce 207
Phone: 410 293-6085
Fax: 410 293-6081
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...