FACULTY POSITION: ULTRASONICS FOR STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING
Pennsylvania State University
The Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics (ESM) at The Pennsylvania State University invites applications for a faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of ultrasonics for structural health monitoring. Other academic ranks will be considered in exceptional cases. Nondestructive inspection, quality assurance testing, process control, infrastructure integrity assessment, prognostic health management, condition based maintenance, and material state awareness provide many opportunities for ultrasonics research, which is an ESM strength and applies to all types of complex systems (structures, machines, vehicles, humans), transportation vehicles (air, land, sea), power generation (nuclear, fossil fuel, wind), petrochemical structures (piping, vessels, tanks), manufacturing equipment, materials (metal, ceramic, polymers, composite, biological), and human systems (skeletal, vascular, neurological).
The Department seeks outstanding candidates in ultrasonics with demonstrated research expertise in several of the following areas:
- sensors and sensor systems - embedded sensors for in-situ monitoring, utilization of new sensory modalities, measurement methodology, signal processing, energy harvesting, wireless communication;
- predictive science and analytics - statistical pattern recognition, data fusion, data assimilation, uncertainty quantification, probabilistic modeling, model based observation and control;
- innovative materials - sensing, multifunctionality, self-healing;
- material degradation and damage science;
- signal processing, data analysis, and imaging for advanced diagnostics and prognostics;
- multiscale modeling and computation for man-made and biological structures
The applicant will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in engineering mechanics. Applicants with strong interdisciplinary interests are encouraged to apply. Additional information about the position and department can be found at http://www.esm.psu.edu.
Required qualifications include a Ph.D. in an engineering-related discipline, and evidence of accomplishments in research and teaching.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Nominations and applications will be considered until the positions are filled. Screening of applicants will begin on October 15, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. The start date is August 2018. Applicants should submit, in one PDF file: (1) a cover letter, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) a statement of professional interests, (4) two relevant publications, and (5) names and addresses of four references. Please submit these items electronically in one pdf file to job 74452 at https://psu.jobs/job/74452. Inquiries should be addressed to ESMSearchCommittee@esm.psu.edu.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/ , which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Pennsylvania State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...