California State University, Chico
Assistant Professor of K-12 Curriculum and Pedagogy
Recruitment Number: FA0115
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2017. Applications submitted after this date may be considered.
CSU, Chico is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, students, and administrators. At CSU, Chico, the designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution invites us to explicitly and intentionally identify, design, and highlight examples of anti-oppressive, inclusive, asset-based teaching approaches grounded in a critical pedagogy that has the potential to transform the classroom. People of color and persons with experience and scholarship directly related to helping CSU, Chico to achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
The School of Education is searching for a tenure track assistant professor with an emphasis in: 1) elementary and/or secondary teacher preparation, 2) foundations of curriculum, instruction, and classroom management, 3) issues of access and equity in education, and/or 4) methods courses in both credential and/or graduate programs. Position starts August 2018 and is contingent on funding. California State University, Chico has been preparing highly effective teachers for 127 years and is well respected throughout the state. We are seeking faculty who are competent in their field, collaborative with colleagues and staff, and committed to student success.
About the University, Hiring Department and Community:
The School of Education is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). We are a member of the National Network of Educational Renewal (NNER), and a collaborator with regional teacher induction and California subject-matter projects. Three overarching purposes guide the programs of the School of Education. Our programs prepare teachers and other school personnel for: Effective Practice – to provide meaningful educational experiences to promote achievement of learning objectives for all learners, based on knowledge of content, of learners, and of pedagogy and informed by appropriate assessment and analysis; Reflective Practice – to continuously reflect on and improve their own professional practice, based on information gleaned from data analysis, experts, peers and research; Engaged Practice – to collaborate with others; to serve as instructional leaders and team members in their schools, districts, and professional organizations; and to be advocates for students, families, schools, communities and the education professions.
Please visit our website for more information about credential and MA in Education programs.
Detailed information is available the following website.
As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University’s 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment. Here is information about sustainability at CSU, Chico.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
CSU, Chico is an EOE/Minority/Females/Vet/Disability and only employs individuals authorized to work in the U.S. We also do not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Earned doctorate in education or a closely related field. Candidates nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, all requirements for conferral of the doctorate must be completed by August, 1 2018.
- A minimum of three years teaching experience in TK-12 classrooms including teaching diverse learners.
- Well versed in the foundations of curriculum, instruction, and classroom management and the ability to bridge theory and practice for future teachers.
- Background in TK-8 and/or 7-12 pedagogy, with an emphasis in meeting the needs of diverse learners.
- Commitment to social and ecological justice in education.
- Evidence of scholarship commensurate with academic experience.
- Demonstrated potential for grant writing, research and/or scholarly activity.
- Scholarly work and/or teaching experience directly related to increasing the recruitment, support, and retention of a diverse teaching population.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities for this position:
- Teach undergraduate pre-requisites and graduate courses related to the teacher preparation program for both elementary and secondary teachers.
- Conduct original research and contribute to related research in the area of Teacher Education.
- Contribute to the school mission in preparing educators and in ongoing program improvement.
- Collaborate with public school and university constituencies.
- Supervise student teachers and graduate field experiences in the rural/suburban service area of CSU, Chico.
- Advise credential and graduate students and serve on graduate thesis/project committees.
- Other assignments as necessary to meet programmatic and departmental needs.
Tenure-track positions carry responsibilities in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service.
- Experience in teaching general education content areas, with an emphasis in sociocultural contexts, and specific content expertise in an area such as math, science, social science, English, and/or literacy.
- Ability to collaborate in studies relevant to professional programs in the School of Education as well as with colleagues from various disciplines across campus and within the community.
- Academic knowledge of teaching English Learners and culturally diverse populations.
- Experience in higher education teaching and clinical supervision.
- Expertise in delivering instruction using distance learning, online technologies, and learning management systems such as Blackboard.
- Teaching license or credential (any state).
Contact & Special Recruitment Information:
Job-Related Questions should be directed to:
Charles Zartman, Search Committee Chair
School of Education
An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the Chico State University Police Department (530-898-5555) or by accessing UPD’s website
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employee’s who apply for the position.
For disability related accommodations please call ADA Coordinator at (530) 898-5959.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: CLICK TO APPLY
California State University, Chico employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. California State University, Chico is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Americans with Disabilities Act employer. An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the California State University Police Department (530) 898-5555 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State University, Chico and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency