Chairperson, Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
University of Dayton
The University of Dayton seeks a collaborative and strategic academic leader to serve as chairperson of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Dayton beginning July 1, 2019. The chairperson will be hired with tenure and at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The chairperson is responsible for administrative, curricular, co-curricular and budgetary facets of the department, plays a unique role engaging students and faculty, and facilitates building and sustaining partnerships across the University and in the broader community.
The Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work offers a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, as well as minors in Anthropology, Social Work, and Sociology. The department focuses on social justice issues and has a commitment to community engagement, diversity and inclusion. Faculty in the department are dynamic teachers and productive scholars. Students in the department pursue a variety of paths after graduation including graduate studies and careers in law, education, social and nonprofit work, and the private sector. Department faculty work closely with community partners in the city of Dayton and surrounding areas.
The department includes 17 full-time faculty (12 sociologists, 2 social workers, and 3 anthropologists) and a smaller number of part-time instructors who help teach specialized courses. The department currently has 76 majors, 137 minors, and serves thousands of students every year in the Universityís Common Academic Program. The department enjoys close collaborations with the other social sciences and interdisciplinary programs including Criminal Justice Studies, Human Rights Studies, International Studies, Premedical Programs, Sustainability Studies, and Womenís & Gender Studies.
The University recently completed a strategic visioning process, whereby it strives to be the university advancing the common good. See udayton.edu/vision.
Dayton, Ohio is accessible, affordable, and offers excellent educational and healthcare resources, arts and cultural attractions, beautiful parks with bike and recreational trails, and a variety of sporting venues. Go to: https://www.daytoncvb.com/ for more information about the area.
Successful applicants must possess the following required qualifications: Ph.D. in Sociology, Anthropology, or Social Work; leadership experience in higher education; an articulated commitment to advancing diversity and inclusivity; excellent written communication skills; and a record of teaching and research in the area of Sociology, Anthropology, or Social Work commensurate with the expectations for tenure and appointment at the rank of Associate Professor in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Dayton. In addition to the above requirements, appointment at the rank of Professor requires a record of teaching, research, and service commensurate with the criteria for promotion to the rank of Professor in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Dayton.
Please visit https://jobs.udayton.edu/postings/26911 for the complete position profile, and complete list of qualifications, and instructions to apply. Applications must be received by October 1, 2018.
The University of Dayton, founded in 1850 by the Society of Mary, is a top ten Catholic research university. The University of Dayton is committed to the recruitment, hiring and promotion of outstanding, diverse faculty and staff who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence in teaching, research and artistic creativity, the development of the whole person, and leadership and service in the local and global community. In support of this commitment, the University is pleased to provide support for spouses of prospective and newly hired faculty. The dual career program serves as a resource and support system and is not intended to take the place of oneís own job search efforts. While we cannot guarantee a placement, we will serve as an effective support system for your spouse. Information can be found at https://udayton.edu/hr/employee_resources/dual_career_resources.php
To attain its Catholic and Marianist mission, the University is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion and affirmative action and to equal opportunity policies and practices. As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer we will not discriminate against minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, or on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Evidence of collaborative leadership and decision making
- Successful leadership in a multidisciplinary setting
- Record of success recruiting, mentoring, and retaining diverse students, faculty and staff
- Record of success mentoring faculty through tenure and promotion
- Successful experience strengthening existing programs and developing new curricular or co-curricular initiatives
- Experience collaborating with agencies and nonprofit organizations
- Successful experience promoting social justice and community engaged learning through curricular and co-curricular means
- Expressed willingness to engage with the University of Daytonís Catholic & Marianist educational values
- Successful supervisory experience
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Effective oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ph.D. in Sociology, Anthropology, or Social Work
- Leadership experience in higher education
- Articulated commitment to advancing diversity and inclusivity
- Excellent written communication skills
- Record of teaching and research in the area of Sociology, Anthropology, or Social Work commensurate with the expectations for tenure and appointment at the rank of Associate Professor in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Dayton
- In addition to the above requirements, appointment at the rank of Professor requires a record of teaching, research, and service commensurate with the criteria for promotion to the rank of Professor in the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Dayton
A fuller description of the qualifications and process instructions for this position is located at the online application site at https://jobs.udayton.edu/postings/26911.
This appointment begins July 1, 2019. Applications are due by October 1, 2018.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Dayton and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com