Associate Director, Brand and Marketing Strategy
Santa Clara University
Department: Office of Communication & Mktg
Part Year: No
FLSA Status: Exempt
Standard Hours (hours per week): 40.00
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California's Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master's, Ph.D., and law degrees. Distinguished by its high student-retention rate, and ranked second among all master's universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is California's oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
University Relations, composed of Development, Alumni Relations, and the Office of Marketing and Communications (OMC), builds Santa Clara University's excellence and character by strengthening relations with alumni, parents, and friends of the University, raising public awareness, and increasing private philanthropy, which supports the University's growth and reputation.
Reporting to the Director of Brand and Marketing Strategy, the Associate Director of Brand and Marketing Strategy (ADBMS) is responsible for collaborating, supporting and developing unit-level marketing and branding campaign strategies and assisting the Director of Brand and Marketing Strategy in the identification, planning, coordination and execution of branding and marketing initiatives in various platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This role requires a highly self-motivated individual who can quickly become familiar with a wide range of marketing concepts, market trends, SCU marketing strategy, unit-level goals and effective demand-generation techniques for the higher education market.
- Work with communicators, partners and stakeholders throughout the university on brand strategy, strategic messaging and related issues.
- Build trust and effective working relationships with unit leaders and marketing personnel; guide/enable units to improve effectiveness in overall marketing development, target audience engagement and awareness.
- Maintain positive, productive relationships and communications with unit representatives and serve as the direct channel between the units and the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Work with creative teams to develop concepts and content for integrated marketing campaigns and university messaging.
- Ensure adherence to university-wide standards for editorial style, visual identity and compliance with the brand.
- Assist with the development and execution of integrated brand strategy plans to elevate awareness and the reputation of the university’s focus areas among key constituents.
- Plan, coordinate and execute branding and marketing initiatives in various platforms including print, web, video, social media, e-mail, and other electronic and interactive mediums. Optimize marketing touch points using data across these channels and in-person communication campus partners.
- Responsible for finished content and design of marketing materials with an eye on message impact, alignment with other university communications, and adherence to brand standards
- Maintain editorial, content management and design oversight for strategic projects.
- Support the overall marketing goals of SCU and its programs, ensuring their success in the assigned units.
- Research and develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow with increased, effective collaboration.
- Prepare progress reports to inform supervisor of project status and deviation from goals. Ensure completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
Provides Work Direction:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and experience required or preferred. This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, the California Fair Employment & Housing Act, and all other applicable laws, SCU provides reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities. A qualified individual is a person who meets skill, experience, education, or other requirements of the position, and who can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Considerable time is spent at a desk using a computer and phone.
- Required to frequently travel to outside constituent meetings.
- Required to travel to other buildings on the campus.
- May be required to attend conferences and training sessions within the Bay Area or in-or out-of-state locations.
- May be required to work evenings and weekends to support and manage OMC/SCU events, video shoots and other events, as necessary.
- May be required to occasionally travel to outside customers, vendors or suppliers.
- May be required to do lifting of light weight supplies.
The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. 1. Typical office environment. 2. Mostly indoor office environment with windows. 3. Offices with equipment noise. 4. Offices with frequent interruptions.
- Familiarity with modern marketing principles and best practices.
- Understanding of audience-based lifecycle journeys.
- Experience working with the Office of Marketing and Communications, unit marketing personnel and suppliers.
- Significant experience developing brand identities.
- Project management experience.
- Expertise in strategic planning, professional marketing and brand leadership and audience insight.
- Working knowledge of the principles of search engine optimization, content audits, and information architecture as well as other factors involved in writing for web preferred.
- Strong understanding of the creative industries and higher education.
- Understanding of SCU marketing vision, messaging and objectives.
- Understanding and appreciation of the mission of Santa Clara University and the vision and values of a Jesuit Catholic educational institution.
- Must be a goal oriented and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate accountability, initiative, creativity and focus in a rapidly changing and intellectually stimulating environment.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate, build alliances, and achieve results within a population that may possess competing interests, opinions, and /or expectations.
- Demonstrate strong active listening skills and ability to negotiate positive outcomes.
- Excellent communication (written, oral and presentation) skills.
- Strong analytical and modern marketing skills.
- Experience with AP style manual.
- Proficiency in content strategy, content creation and curation.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrate a level of comfort working and communicating with campus partners. Ability to motivate, build long term relationships with and gain the respect of internal and external clients.
- Demonstrate a genuine appetite to contribute to a collaborative, ethical, and professional team environment.
- Ability to rapidly diffuse tense situations by helping parties to better understand their needs, expectations and available resources.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a deadline driven environment with a healthy attitude to attaining goals; to work independently and as a member of a staff team; to exercise sound judgment and discretion; to promote collaboration.
- Ability to develop multiple concepts that achieve marketing objectives.
- Natural curiosity to continually improve results and experimentation with new methods and ideas.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in major such as marketing, business, advertising, digital marketing or a related field. Advanced degree in marketing or communications preferred.
- Six to eight years of experience, including project management experience, data tracking – performance metrics and reporting, and brand strategy and marketing leadership.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Salary Information: $3,145.00 - $3,697.50 semi-monthly
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://jobs.scu.edu
About Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University is a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located in California’s Silicon Valley, offering its 8,800 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, plus master’s, Ph.D., and law degrees.
Distinguished by the highest retention rate and ranked second among all master’s universities in the West by U.S. News and World Report, Santa Clara University is California’s oldest operating institution of higher-education. The University is focused on creating an academic community that educates citizens and leaders who will build a more just, humane, and sustainable world.
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability.
Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Santa Clara University report, please go to the Campus Safety Services website at http://www.scu.edu/cs/. To request a paper copy please call Campus Safety at (408) 554-4441. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Santa Clara University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...