Assistant Professor, Computer Science
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
At Cal Poly Pomona we cultivate success through a diverse culture of experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. We demonstrate academic quality, relevance, and excellence through our teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities with student centered faculty in an evidence-based culture. Cal Poly Pomona is committed to being the model for an inclusive polytechnic university that inspires creativity and innovation, embraces local and global challenges, and transforms lives.
The Position: The department seeks candidates who strive for excellence in teaching, professional and scholarly achievements in the area of expertise. The successful candidate is expected to teach a broad range of courses in computer science at both graduate and undergraduate levels, as well as develop new courses in areas of expertise. They are also expected to plan and conduct research, and develop an extramurally funded research program involving undergraduate and graduate students. The applicant will also be expected to assist in curriculum development, program assessment activities, advise students, and serve on department, college, and/or university committees, and engage in professional activities. We seek candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community and are committed to teaching in an inclusive environment.
The University: Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureates, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
The Department: The Computer Science Department offers B.S. and M.S. degrees and has 13 tenured/tenure-track faculty and 18 lecturers. The B.S. program in Computer Science is accredited by ABET. Several computing laboratories support instruction and research and are integrated with central University IT services. Linux and Windows environments are available. More information about our instructional program is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~cs/.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a closely related area from an accredited university by Aug. 1, 2019.
- Demonstrated commitment to actively engage in the teaching, research and curricular development activities of the department at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service, and a commitment to work and experience working in an inclusive environment
- Preference will be given to candidates in any of the areas of Software Engineering, Compilers, Distributed Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and/or Robotics.
- Candidates in other major computer science areas will also be considered, and are thus encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Ability to teach a broad range of courses.
- Ability to articulate complex subject matter to students at all educational levels.
Information and Application Process Instructions
A completed application will consist of:
- a completed application form https://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf ;
- a cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description (2 pages max);
- a curriculum vitae;
- a statement of the applicant’s teaching philosophy (2 pages max);
- a student success statement about the candidate’s teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges with working or engaging with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced);
- a list of graduate and undergraduate courses the applicant would prefer teaching;
- a statement of applicant’s proposed research plan that details how undergraduate and graduate students will be involved (4 pages max);
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript required before the formal offer);
- names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of three individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- Semi-Finalists for the position will be required to provide three letters of reference (on letterhead, signed and dated within the past two years and uploaded to Interfolio by the recommender).
An official transcript showing the highest degree will be required before the successful candidate starts in Fall 2019.
Applicants invited for a campus interview will be required to give a lecture in a class, as well as a scholarly presentation.
The positions are open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than November 12, 2018. Early response is encouraged. Electronic submission of all application must be submitted online via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/55209. General inquiries regarding the application process and the Computer Science Department should be directed to:
Faculty Search Committee c/o Dr. Amar Raheja
Computer Science Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3440 FAX: 909.869.4733 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...