Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
A BCCC Upward Bound English Instructor works to create and enhance a culture of achievement and respect where high expectations and results are the norm. All instructors are responsible for demonstrating significant and measurable academic gains each year with students they teach. Instructors are also charged with continuing to spark students' motivation to become lifelong learners and independent thinkers. All instructors' actions must always be aligned with the Upward Bound mission, vision, core values, and education program.
Essential Functions - Use of state of the art standards, course overviews, and planning templates to create rigorous, objective-driven, arts infused units, lesion, and performance tasks. Identify in each lesson what thinking skills will be explicitly taught and practiced; what physical, social, or content skills students will be able to do and how students will know if they can do it. Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged. Explicitly introduce learning objectives to activate students' prior knowledge as it relates to the objectives and conclude the lesion by revisiting the learning objective and have students apply it in context.
- Develop standards- aligned, measurable, ambitious, big goals that will increase student opportunities for achievement; assess and track performance against these goals. Measure student achievement of and progress toward the learning objectives and big goals with formative and summative assessment tools.
- Create a focused environment of fairness and respect that encourages students to take risks and strive to reach goals. Communicate and enforce high expectations and standards for behavior and academic performance aligned with the BCCC Upward Bound standards to create a strong culture of achievement and respect.
- Knowledge of the prescribed curriculum. Knowledge of current educational research. Basic understanding and knowledge of current technology.
- Knowledge of learning styles and skills in using teaching methods to address student learning styles Skill in oral and written communication with students, parents, and others.
- Ability to plan and implement activities for maximum effectiveness
- Ability to assess levels of student achievement effectively, analyze test results, and prescribe actions for improvement. Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a sate and orderly environment in which to learn. Ability to work effectively with peers, administrators, and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in English.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher with a major in English and/or Education
- Current MSDE teaching license in Secondary English Instruction
- Satisfactory results of a current Criminal Background Check is required.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for this position, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...