Instructor or Assistant Professor of Emergency Medical Services (EMS)/Program Director
Dixie State University
The Healthcare Diagnostics & Therapeutics department at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah, invites applicants for a full-time Instructor or Assistant Professor of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) faculty position to begin Spring Semester 2019. The EMS programs, located at the University's Hurricane Education Center, are designed to prepare students for career opportunities in pre-hospital emergency care, such as ambulance, fire department, search and rescue, law enforcement, and volunteer service. Information about the programs can be found online at https://health.dixie.edu/ems/.
- Provide EMS course instruction and clinical supervision
- Assist the Department Chair and Dean in the development and maintenance of the EMS program
- Under supervision, administer and supervise the development, implementation, and evaluation of curricula, including preparation of class schedules and maintenance of desirable classroom and clinical conditions
- Recruit, assign, supervise, evaluate, and provide leadership to faculty and staff within the EMS programs; plan, schedule, and coordinate clinical experiences and cooperative education
- Initiate, facilitate, and maintain liaison with community EMS professionals, educational programs, and advisory committees; assist in the development of contracts with community health agencies
- Assess, plan, operate, and supervise the maintenance of program facilities
- Assure compliance with OSHA standards for infection control
- Assist with student recruitment, advisement, placement, and follow-up efforts
- Develop and supervise the EMS programs' admissions policies and procedures, student evaluation, and retention process, in cooperation with Department Chair
- Coordinate faculty in preparation of all aspects of national accreditation, including self-report, on-site visits, follow-up, and ongoing evaluation of the EMS programs
- Prepare and administer EMS budget; prepare reports required by internal and external agencies and departments
- Improve professionally and maintain currency in the field
- Perform defined campus-wide duties, including holding office hours, attendance at department and division meetings, and adherence to college, division, and university policies and procedures
- A bachelor's degree in an EMS field required for Instructor-level/non-tenure-track; Master's degree in a related field required for Assistant Professor/tenure-track
- Experience in pre-hospital care, education and/or experience as a provider or supervisor of pre-hospital care required
- Must be a Utah licensed registered nurse, physician, or currently certified Utah EMT-Paramedic, or eligible for licensure in Utah. Must be certified as an EMT-Paramedic course coordinator or eligible for certification.
- Successful teaching experience in emergency medicine/emergency response field
- Ability to develop innovative curricula and appropriate course content, relative to current trends and methodologies in EMS education
- Knowledge of computer based technology as used in clinical and educational environments
- Knowledge of state and local regulations and legal issues for EMS
- Skill in leadership and management, including budgeting, faculty/staff development, and faculty/staff evaluation
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to represent the EMS programs and Dixie State University to campus stakeholders, community members, accrediting bodies, etc.
- Ability to work evening and Saturday instruction in classes and clinicals as needed
Information and Application Process Instructions
Electronic Application Procedures: Application review begins August 27, 2018; position open until filled.
Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check.
If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
Please visit https://humanresources.dixie.edu/ for a full position description, supplemental information, and to apply.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Dixie State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Dixie State University
225 S University Ave
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...