Alternate Media Specialist (one or more positions)
South Orange County Community College District
Disabled Student Program Specialist (Categorical) (one or more positions)
Irvine Valley College
Job Close Date: 11/09/2018
Pay Range: 123, step 1 is $4,205.00 per month
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under general supervision from assigned supervisory or management staff, performs a variety of specialized duties related to providing support services to students with special needs or disabilities; performs initial intake and screening of new students; provides ongoing support to continuing students including to provide or coordinate accommodations for students within the assigned area; coordinates interpreting and captioning services; assists in integrating students with disabilities into the College system; and coordinates services and activities with other College offices, faculty, and community agencies.
- Programs, methods, and resources available for persons with disabilities.
- Needs of students with disabilities or requiring special services.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations, including
- Americans with Disabilities Act, Title V regulations, and Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Confidentiality requirements when dealing with personal and sensitive student information.
- Data collection and basic research principles and practices
- Principles, practices, and procedures of business letter writing and report preparation.
- Record keeping methods and procedures.
- Principles and practices used to establish and maintain files and information retrieval systems.
- Diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Work organization principles and practices.
- Principles and techniques used in public relations.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Principles and practices of providing training, work direction, and guidance to lower-level staff and student workers.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Performs a variety of specialized duties related to providing support services to students with special needs or disabilities.
- Understand the needs and requirements of disabled students and utilize programs, methods, and resources available to assist students with various disabilities.
- Understand the organization and operation of the College as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Understand, interpret, and apply administrative and office policies and procedures as well as pertinent laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Compile and maintain detailed data related to assigned functions.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from students, staff, or the public; effectively present information in person or on the telephone to students, staff, or the public. • Implement and maintain filing and record-keeping systems.
- Independently compose and prepare correspondence and memoranda.
- Plan and organize work to meet schedules and changing deadlines.
- Work within the policies, functions, and requirements of area of assignment.
- Provide lead supervision and training to assigned staff.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
- Type or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Use correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions and a high degree of public contact by phone or in person.
- Work independently and effectively in the absence of supervision
- Work with and exhibit sensitivity to and understanding of the varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, academic, socio-economic, and disabled populations of community college students.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to two years of college level course work in special education, psychology, education, or a related field.
Two years of increasingly responsible administrative and programmatic experience including experience involving providing support services to persons with disabilities.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...