California State University, Chico
Assistant Professor of Education
Recruitment Number: FA0152
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2018; complete applications received after that date may be considered.
Department: School of Education
CSU, Chico is committed to enriching the educational environment of its students. The School of Education seeks candidates whose teaching, research, or service has prepared them to contribute to our campus commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education. We now proudly hold HSI designation.
The School of Education is searching for a tenure-track assistant professor with an emphasis in: 1) elementary teacher preparation, 2) curriculum methods, instruction, and classroom management, 3) issues of access and equity in education, and/or 4) methods courses in both credential and/or graduate programs. Position starts August 21, 2019 and is contingent on funding. California State University, Chico has been preparing highly effective teachers for 128 years and is well respected throughout the state. We are seeking faculty who are competent in their field, collaborative with colleagues and staff, and committed to student success.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Earned doctorate in Bilingual Education (Spanish/English) or in a closely related area such as Language, Literacy and Culture. Candidates nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, all requirements for conferral of the doctorate must be completed by August, 1 2019.
- A minimum of three years teaching experience in TK-8 classrooms including teaching diverse learners.
- Well versed in curriculum and pedagogical methods, instruction, classroom management, and the ability to bridge theory and practice for future teachers.
- Background in TK-8 pedagogy, with an emphasis in meeting the needs of diverse learners.
- Commitment to social and ecological justice in education.
- Evidence of scholarship commensurate with academic experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to grant writing, research and/or scholarly activity.
- Scholarly work and/or teaching experience directly related to increasing the recruitment, support, and retention of a diverse teaching population.
- Teaching license or credential (any state).
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities for this position:
Tenure-track positions carry responsibilities in the areas of teaching, scholarship and service.
- Teach undergraduate pre-requisites and graduate courses related to the elementary teacher preparation program.
- Conduct original research and contribute to related research in the area of Teacher Education.
- Contribute to the school mission in preparing educators and in ongoing program improvement.
- Collaborate with public school and university constituencies.
- Supervise student teachers and graduate field experiences in the rural/suburban service area of CSU, Chico.
- Advise credential and graduate students and serve on graduate thesis/project committees.
- Other assignments as necessary to meet programmatic and departmental needs.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
- Experience in teaching general and/or bilingual education content areas in math or the arts.
- Ability to collaborate in studies relevant to professional programs in the School of Education as well as with colleagues from various disciplines across campus and within the community.
- Academic knowledge of teaching English Learners and culturally diverse populations.
- Experience in higher education teaching and clinical supervision.
- Expertise in delivering instruction using distance learning, online technologies, and learning management systems such as Blackboard.
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Contact & Special Recruitment Information:
All applicants must apply online at: http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/5156.
Applicants must provide current cover letter, CV, and the name & contact info of three professional references when applying. Applications submitted via email or in-person to the department will not be considered.
Job-related questions should be directed to:
Dr. Charles Zartman, Search Committee Chair
School of Education
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: CLICK TO APPLY
About the University, Hiring Department and Community:
The School of Education is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). We are a collaborator with regional teacher induction and California subject-matter projects. Three overarching purposes guide the programs of the School of Education. Our programs prepare teachers and other school personnel for: Effective Practice – to provide meaningful educational experiences to promote achievement of learning objectives for all learners, based on knowledge of content, of learners, and of pedagogy and informed by appropriate assessment and analysis; Reflective Practice – to continuously reflect on and improve their own professional practice, based on information gleaned from data analysis, experts, peers and research; Engaged Practice – to collaborate with others; to serve as instructional leaders and team members in their schools, districts, and professional organizations; and to be advocates for students, families, schools, communities and the education professions. The School of Education is a recognized leader in preparing educators to meet the needs of a diverse, democratic, and sustainable society through inquiry, collaboration, and service toward a socially and ecologically just world.
For more information about credential and MA in Education programs, please see http://www.csuchico.edu/soe.
Detailed information about the university is available here. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University’s 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment.
CSU, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
CSU, Chico is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status and only employ individuals authorized to work in the U.S.
For disability related accommodations please call ADA Coordinator at (530) 898-5959.
An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the Chico State University Police Department (530-898-5555) or by visiting the Chico State UPD website.
All positions are contingent on funding.
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, health, dental and vision insurance). CSU, Chico offers a defined benefit retirement plan through the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS). See retirement plan benefits information here.
This position qualifies for additional benefits including a tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
California State University, Chico employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. California State University, Chico is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Americans with Disabilities Act employer. An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the California State University Police Department (530) 898-5555 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State University, Chico and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...