Mental Health Counselor
MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR
PERSONAL COUNSELING CENTER
The Mental Health Counselor provides psychological services to college students, consults with faculty and staff, works collaboratively within the college community, and does related work as required.
The incumbent assumes an 11-month position, supervised by the Director of the Personal Counseling Center.
- Provide direct clinical services, including personal counseling, assessment, consultation, and referrals for enrolled D’Youville students
- Collaborate with the Counseling Center Director to ensure comprehensive and effective management of the Personal Counseling Center, staff and clients
- Develop and present educational outreach programs and services
- Provide mental health consultation to college staff as requested, and facilitate relationships within college community
- Collaborate with off campus providers to refer, assess and treat client needs
- Coordinate services with the Director of the Health Center and the Director of Residence Life for Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) assessment, treatment, education, and referral programs
- Supervise Master’s level Graduate Interns
- Maintain confidential client records
- Assist and/or manage crisis situations as needed
- Support and assist with training Residence Life staff
- Participate in new student orientations, related and appropriate activities as requested
- Represent the Personal Counseling Center and D’Youville College at both on-campus and community meetings
- Engage in on-going professional development
- Assume other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling from a recognized college or university
• Thorough knowledge of Mental Health Counseling practices
• Ability to counsel and effectively establish rapport with a diverse student population
• Possess sound professional judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, flexibility, dependability, courtesy, and tact
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
• Knowledge of law and ethics governing the Mental Health profession
Acceptable Training and Experience
• New York State Licensure in Mental Health Counseling; National Board Certification
• One (1) year of responsible supervised experience in Mental Health Counseling
D’Youville College is an independent institution of higher education that offers baccalaureate and graduate programs to students of all faiths, cultures, and backgrounds.
D’Youville College honors its Catholic heritage and the spirit of St. Marguerite d’Youville by providing academic, social, spiritual, and professional development in programs that emphasize leadership and service. D’Youville teaches students to contribute to the world community by leading compassionate, productive and responsible lives.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com