Assistant Professor of Design
University of Massachusetts Amherst
The Department of Art at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position in design to begin September 1, 2019. The department values diversity as a factor in academic and artistic excellence.
We seek applications from integrated designers committed to trans-disciplinary approaches using methods that are applicable in arts production as well as other design contexts. Responsibilities will include teaching courses in Foundations to graduate level, participating in department and university service, maintaining design facilities and equipment, advising students and serving on MFA thesis committees. The successful candidate should have an active design practice, professional design experience, and a record of presentation at regional and national levels.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Masterís degree in Design (typically MFA)
- Two years of professional design experience
- Two years of college-level teaching beyond graduate school
(Any of the following)
- Expertise in digital design, visualization and fabrication
- Demonstrated interest in and capacity to extend object-based research and creative practice to systems, experiences and interactions
- Commitment to and demonstrated experience in trans-disciplinary collaboration
- Background or interest in entrepreneurship that integrates service and participatory design
- Demonstrated commitment to program and course development and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students
- Record of inclusive excellence serving diverse populations through teaching, creative activity, research and/or service
The online application is a two-part process.
- Please upload the following items to PageUp at: https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/822/gateway/Default.aspx?c=apply&sJobIDs=495854&SourceTypeID=801&sLanguage=en-us
- Cover letter
- CV, including list of courses taught
- Artist/designer statement
- Statement of teaching philosophy, including statement of diversity
- 2 sample syllabi
- Names and contact information of three references including valid email addresses
- Please submit the following images to SlideRoom at: https://umassamherstart.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/45885
- 20 images/samples from a professional portfolio
- 20 images/samples of student work
Please submit your application materials through PageUp and SlideRoom by the priority deadline of January 2, 2019 to ensure consideration. The search will remain open until filled; however, applications received after the priority deadline may not be reviewed.
The Department of Art at the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers post-secondary education in a full range of disciplines that include painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, animation, intermedia, and art education. Interdisciplinary study is at the core of our philosophy, and we encourage students to pursue experience across art disciplines, as well as exploring the diverse fields of arts, humanities, and sciences open to them at this premier research university. More information on the Department of Art can be found here: https://www.umass.edu/art/.
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University's goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual's record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.
About UMass Amherst:
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com