Information Technology Librarian
Mount St. Mary's University
Coordinates the development of new technology applications that support library programs and services; identifies emerging technologies and develops programs and best practices for the Phillips Library; works collaboratively with library and university IT staff, faculty and students. Collaborates with faculty and other librarians to enhance students’ research skills by the creation and delivery of instruction activities and class sessions.
- Manage the library’s OCLC WorldShare Management services, including sub-systems for cataloging and resources discovery, inventory control, acquisitions, and interlibrary loan.
- Manage digital resources collection, including database products and licenses, EZproxy (user authentication software), MSM digital repository (ContentDM).
- Manage technical data and account integrity for the library’s large collection of digital resources including constant direct contact with campus networking staff and vendor/content provider’s technical staff.
- Manages the development and maintenance of the Library’s website and social media sites.
Other Responsibilities and Tasks:
- The Information Technology Librarian leads the Library’s digital initiatives in collaboration with librarians, faculty, and university administration.
- Provides expertise in identifying, evaluating, and making recommendations concerning the use of new and emerging technologies that support the library’s mission.
- Provides leadership and coordination for planning, implementing, and training for the adoption and integration of new technologies.
- Evaluates user-side applications and their impact on information systems design and resource delivery.
- Participates in regional and/or national professional activities to advance the development of digital library resources, including representing MSM at OCLC, MICUA and other regional librarian meetings.
- Develops, implements, and maintains digital services, workflow's and policies throughout the library.
- Collaborates directly with faculty to design library research instruction sessions that include information technology resources.
- Collaborates with other librarians to provide research consultation and instruction to students on request.
- Participates in the academic department liaison program including library instruction.
- Coordinates library technology services with Mount’s Frederick campus.
- Serves on the campus-wide Technology Advisory Committee.
MLS/MLIS/MIS degree from an ALA accredited program; demonstrated experience with electronic information services and library systems and their applications, specific knowledge and experience in managing OCLC WorldShare Management System and it’s sub-systems, OCLC WorldCat Discovery system, and EZ Proxy authentication system; experience with and strong commitment to customer service and library instruction; working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office applications, Web development tools, and social media; effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated enjoyment in working with the challenges of using technology applications to support library services.
- Knowledge of current trends in digital library development, digitization standards and preservation, and digital rights management issues relating to digital materials.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across organizational lines and in collaboration with a variety of individuals and groups to plan improvements and resolve problems.
- Ability to learn and teach new technologies quickly, as well to effectively interact with others who possess a range of technological backgrounds.
- Ability to provide training and instruction on processes to individuals or groups.
- Excellent customer service skills with a commitment to customer service.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and experience with current metadata schemes and evolving standards.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
Open until filled
Ways to Apply
Applicants are requested to submit a resume, and cover letter which in part addresses the contribution the candidate can make to a Catholic liberal arts institution. Information is to be sent to:
Mount St. Mary’s University
Department of Human Resources
Information Technology Librarian Search
16300 Emmitsburg Rd.
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Or email resume materials to: email@example.com.
Mount St. Mary's University is a dynamic, Catholic, Liberal Arts University with over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, Mount St. Mary’s graduates ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. The university has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational programs and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world EOE.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Mount St. Mary's University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com