199467 - Temporary Assignment - Lab Technician
Lab Technician - Temporary Assignment
Full-time/ 35 hours/6 - month temporary assignment
Clark University’s Biology Department seeks to fill the position of Lab technician. Reporting to the Faculty Chair, the successful candidate will provide broad technical support for the Biology Department.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
Provide technical support for laboratory courses:
- Preparator, Biology 109 (Microbiology) labs.
- Reconciliation of laboratory materials specified by experimental protocols with student population to ensure sufficiency of materials.
- Ordering prepared reagents, media, consumables, equipment & vendor services needed for lab course activities.
- Manufacture most media used in the course.
- Set up labs with required lab equipment, media, reagents & materials required for each session & provision of student prompts to take X number of each item.
- Take down labs, cleaning, clearing space for incoming courses using the room.
- Sterilization/disposal of used materials & cultures, processing used glassware, etc.
- Assist with lab preparation for Intro Biology and other courses as needed.
- Manufacture of Drosophila food for use in research and course labs.
- Ordering/receiving specimens for Biology 111 (Anatomy) labs.
Oversight of departmental equipment and laboratory resources.
Purchase and maintenance of departmental lab equipment, both capital assets (thermal cycler, algae growth chamber, centrifuge) and non-capital equipment (microscopes, pipets, balances, refrigerators, other small items);
Oversight of facilities maintenance:
- Oversight of autoclave and glass washing facility.
- Collection of dirty lab glassware & other items from research and teaching labs for cleaning; running items through washer; redistribution of cleaned items to labs.
- Troubleshoot issues with autoclave and glasswasher, ordering repairs as necessary and coordination of routine service maintenance and repairs with vendor.
- Ordering parts and consumables for autoclave and glasswasher.
- Process annual service maintenance contract renewal with Steris Corporation
- Liaise with Physical Plant regarding facilities issues as they arise.
- Process biological wastes generated in labs for disposal, including sterilization of microbiological materials, arranging for incineration of tissues and carcasses, and collection of chemical wastes with Chemical Safety Officer.
- Implementation of department’s digital presence.
- Web content management of Biology Department Website and Faculty Bio Admin Catalog.
- Create and post VNC PowerPoint slide shows playing in Lasry lobby and Tweets for Biology Twitter feed.
- Perform documented monthly inspection of animal facilities for IACUC
This is a full-time, 35 hours per week, 6 month temporary position.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. Please email résumé and cover letter to . Applicants must reference Job code 199467 in the subject line to be considered for this position.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Clark University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com