Assistant/Associate Professor, History and Theory of Architecture Full-Time
New York Institute of Technology
The School of Architecture and Design at New York Institute of Technology invites outstanding candidates for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor with expertise in History and Theory of Architecture.
This position will be based in our New York City and/or Long Island campuses and requires teaching, coordination, and curriculum development at the graduate and undergraduate level in core courses, seminars and electives in this specialization.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a track record of scholarly achievements combined with expertise in global/world architectural history, including the underrepresented geographical regions (e.g., Central or South America, Africa, East and/or South Asia, or the Middle East), and/or a competency in North American and European trajectories from the late 19th century to the present.
In addition, we are seeking a candidate to infuse the School’s other course sequences with critical and innovative perspectives crucial to intellectual critical thinking in general and cultural awareness design thinking, contemporary theory and the advancement of technology.
Candidate responsibilities for a successful academic path will include teaching, research and service. Essential will be the contribution to the school’s curriculum development, history/theory sequence coordination, participation in program accreditation, student mentoring and advising, retention and recruitment initiatives, and in service activities to the community, the SoAD, and the Institution.
Areas of emphasis include the integration of history and theory sequences within design studio and the development of innovative pedagogical models facilitating the pursuit of new knowledge at the NYIT School of Architecture and Design.
Critical will be an evolving research agenda with definition of future aspirations and supported by, publications, internal and external funding. The candidate will be expected to have an active role in the development of cross-disciplinary research projects leading to the expansion of collaborations and partnerships with other universities, with the profession and the industry, nationally and internationally, contributing to NYIT’s excellence and to the enhancement of NYIT’s reputation.
In addition, it will be desirable to have candidates with professional practice and other creative experiences.
Our community is committed to support and advocate diversity and inclusivity.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- First professional degree in Architecture (B.Arch or M.Arch or international equivalent) PLUS Professional license - OR- Post Professional Masters and/or PhD.
- Assistant Professor: ability to teach topical courses/seminars/electives in the area of the position description
- Associate Professor: ability to teach topical courses/seminars/electives in the area of the position description as demonstrated with at least 4 years of relevant teaching experience; ability to teach architectural design studios.
- Evidence of specialized research, academic, professional/creative activities and achievements with a strong and innovative design sensitivity
- Record of interdisciplinary collaborations
- Contributions in externally funded research
Applicants should submit the following in digital format (PDF):
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Statement addressing the candidate’s pedagogic approach, research interests and professional accomplishments
- Portfolio of teaching, professional and/or research work (PDF, max 5 MB) (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Name and contact information of three references
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on January 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Appointment will begin in the Fall 2019 semester.
To apply please submit your application to: https://careers-nyit.icims.com/jobs/1710/assistant-associate-professor%2c-history-and-theory-of-architecture-full-time-tenure-track-position
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the New York Institute of Technology and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com