Music Instructor (Instrumental)
South Orange County Community College District
Irvine Valley College
Music Instructor (Instrumental) (One or More Positions)
Job Close Date: 02/25/2019
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Director of the Instrumental Music Area (IMA); conduct the IVC Wind Symphony.
• Work collaboratively with the IMA faculty for the continued management, development, and growth of a comprehensive instrumental program.
•Develop curriculum, coordinate IMA schedules, and manage related budgets.
• Working with appropriate classified staff; develop annual concert season, and oversee, direct, and supervise purchases of music, instruments, and equipment, and the proper maintenance, storage, security, and management of instrument and equipment inventory and music library.
• Suggest to the Dept. Chair and Dean for the hiring when needed for all IMA Applied Music and other IMA adjunct faculty.
• Develop publicity and recruit for the IMA and Music Department.
• Assignment will include one or more evening classes.
• Participate in general faculty functions related to the educational program and staff development.
• Service in campus wide faculty governance or other faculty leadership positions.
Additional Position Information:
The IVC Instrumental Music Area (IMA) currently encompases the Wind Symphony, Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, and Guitar Ensemble. Also in this area are the Applied Music Lessons for instrumental music majors and class guitar instruction.
The IMA has sent students to the CBDNA Intercollegiate Band for the past twenty years, and is active in the Music Assn. of California Community Colleges. The IMA has worked in close collaboration with the composition and theory area, taking rehearsal time to read student compositions, and have programmed some of the resulting compositions.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
1. Master’s degree or higher in music from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in music AND a Master’s degree in humanities from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above (Applicants applying on the basis of equivalency must complete all Equivalency questions on their application in addition to all other required materials)
• Two (2) years (full or part-time) recent experience teaching music at the college level.
• Proven ability to conduct instrumental ensembles.
Preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Experience conducting instrumental ensembles.
• Experience in instrumental program development and coordination.
• Experience in applied instrumental instruction and general education courses in music.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com