South Orange County Community College District
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: providing leadership in the development of a campus journalism program and student newspaper AND instructing classes (may include day and evening hours) in (1) undergraduate level journalism courses; 2) transfer level, research based writing and critical thinking; 3) the college’s Writing Center. Additional duties include advancing student learning through dedicated, exemplary instruction in accordance with established course outlines and with established Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs), participating in the development and revision of curriculum, in department and college committees, and in professional development activities, maintaining current knowledge in the subject matter and in effective teaching and learning strategies, maintaining appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics, participating in general faculty functions related to the educational program, in-service programs, and professional development, and maintaining appropriate records and grades.
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
1. Master’s degree or higher in journalism or communication with a specialization in journalism from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in either of the above AND a Master’s degree or higher in English history, communication, literature, composition, comparative literature, any social science, business, business administration, marketing, graphics, or photography from an accredited college or university; OR
3. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above (candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in addition to all other required materials.); OR
4. Valid California Community College Instructor Credential, appropriate to the subject, per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July l, 1990).
• Recent substantive experience in the field of journalism and a minimum of two (2) years of recent and successful experience teaching post-secondary English composition.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Minimum of two years of work experience in the field of journalism.
• Evidence of experience and proficiency in skills relevant to the production, management, and distribution of a college newspaper.
• Recent and successful experience teaching journalism or creative non-fiction.
• Evidence of commitment to maintain current knowledge of composition and/or journalism.
• Recent and successful experience teaching transfer-level composition, research-based writing, and critical thinking.
• Teaching experience based on a philosophy of process-centered writing.
• Experience working with students in a writing center based on a philosophy of process-centered writing and an understanding of its role in a college writing program.
• Understanding of the diverse ways in which the needs of students are met on a college campus, including the ways faculty address student needs through participation in college and district governance.
Information and Application Process Instructions
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...