Engineering Full-Time Instructor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/21/2019
The Engineering Department at Mission College is now accepting applications for one full-time, tenure-track instructor. We are looking for candidates who have a strong engineering background as demonstrated by their college degrees and performance as well as industry work experiences. We are seeking candidates with knowledge of how the higher-education system works in California and the unique role played by community colleges in the state, as well as a willingness to help our department grow and improve.
Mission College is located in Silicon Valley and serves the south Bay Area region which includes urban neighborhoods, high-tech business centers, as well as residential areas. Engineers who have the ability and initiative to take advantage of the high-tech region we are in by seeking out internships, tours, guest speakers, industry connections, etc. are especially encouraged to apply.
Mission College serves a culturally and ethnically diverse study body. We are seeking applicants who can effectively encourage, inspire, and retain our students while at the same time prepare them for success in upper-division engineering coursework after they transfer to a 4-year institution. We seek candidates who are committed to teaching excellence with emphasis on clarity and ensuring course content has context and meaning. Candidates must be willing to participate at the state-wide level with engineering faculty outside the college to maintain currency and acquire knowledge of teaching standards and best practices. In addition, candidates must be able to work effectively with 4-year institutions and their articulation officers to ensure that there are clear academic pathways, and that coursework is articulated and adequately prepares students for upper-division coursework.
Candidates must possess the ability to teach a broad range of lower-division engineering courses including engineering labs. Candidates need to be able to work with organizations within the college, such as grant funded initiatives, to foster a full-service college effort to ensure student success. This position demands candidates who have a strong work ethic and a willingness to offer extra supports to students when necessary.
Mission College strives to create a supportive community and sense-of-place that nurtures students both socially and academically. This position requires someone who wants to be an integral part of this community.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2019. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
• $64,631 to $100,582 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
• Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
• Employer paid long term disability for employee.
• Employer-provided life insurance.
• Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
• Banked leave provisions.
• Professional Growth and Development activities.
• 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
• Conference leaves.
• Opportunity for overload assignments.
• Cal STRS Retirement.
• Position is union affiliated.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of the following:
• Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes preparation, in-class activities, evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of class (scheduling time beyond normal office hours if necessary), ensuring regular effective student contact for Distance Education courses, maintenance of currency in the subjects taught and other efforts related to the teaching of the assigned classes, and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
• Maintain accurate class and other records.
• Submit, when due, all necessary reports, such as attendance, grade reports, rosters, class and office schedules.
• File a syllabus for each course with the appropriate division offices.
• Post and maintain office hours each week.
• Provide each student with a current course syllabus as required by Title 5, which includes SLOs, classroom procedures, requirements and grading policies and provide a copy to the Division Office.
• Refer students to appropriate college resources.
• Assist students by providing advice on requirements for successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
• Assume institutional responsibilities, essential to the ongoing operation and effective achievement of department, division, college and district programs.
1. Education – Possess one of the following:
• Master’s degree in any field of engineering; OR
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the above AND master’s degree in mathematics, physics, computer science, chemistry or geology; OR
• Bachelor’s degree in any field of engineering with a professional engineer’s license; OR
• A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Engineering; OR
• The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/1379267
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the West Valley-Mission Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.