Mental Health Counselor
Western Washington University
About the Position: The WWU Counseling Center is seeking to fill a permanent, full-time, 11 or 12 month Mental Health Counselor position. In addition to seeking a strong generalist clinician, the ideal candidate will have training in multicultural counseling and a commitment to the university's core theme of advancing inclusive success and retention for students from diverse and under-represented socio-economic backgrounds.
About the Department: The WWU Counseling Center provides students with short-term individual, couples, and group counseling, as well as workshops, outreach programs and consultations to the Western community. Our counseling staff includes a collaborative team of 10+ FTE of psychologists and licensed mental health counselors, case manager, suicide prevention and menís resiliency positions. We have four doctoral intern positions, and two full-time support staff. We work closely with the Student Health Center and Prevention and Wellness Services to provide coordinated services for students. We seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. As such, we are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively seeking diversity in our employees. WWUís Counseling Center is accredited by the International Association for Counseling Services, and an APPIC-member site for doctoral interns.
For more information, visit our website: http://www.wwu.edu/counseling
- Provide intake assessments with triage-based disposition and referral.
- Provide approximately three hours per week of same-day appointments for students in crisis.
- Provide individual counseling for students within a brief and focused counseling model.
- Work closely with case manager to assist students in finding off-campus professionals for referral when that referral best meets the studentsí needs.
- Provide multicultural outreach to diverse campus groups and strengthen connections with diversity partners on campus, including Ethnic Student Center, Multicultural Center, Queer Resource Center and others.
- Actively participate in supervision and training of graduate interns, including training in multicultural counseling and working with diverse populations.
- Facilitate (and co-facilitate with trainees) counseling groups, workshops, and psycho-educational outreach.
- Serve in the regular after-hours on-call counselor rotation.
- Provide support to ProtoCall, the primary after-hours response service.
- The counselor will be expected to serve during times the university is in session and take a portion of on-call during breaks. The on-call counselor must be available and able to respond immediately to phone calls and to be on-site within 45 minutes. If a large-scale crisis occurs, the counselor will be expected to be part of a team of responders which could be after-hours, on weekends, or at other times outside the work day.
- Participate in the weekly staff meeting, medical consultation meeting, peer consultation group, and other departmental and division meetings and events.
- Provide coordinated services for clients between the Counseling Center, Alcohol and Drug Consultation and Assessment Services (ADCAS), Consultation and Sexual Assault Support Services (CASAS), the Student Health Center medical staff, disAbility Resources, Residence Life, and various off-campus services.
- Other duties may include one or more of the following:
- Work with Counseling, Health, and Wellness programming on suicide/violence prevention, resiliency and emotional well- being.
- Involvement in the Counseling Centerís participation in the national Center for Collegiate Mental Health consortium and outcome research within the Counseling Center.
- Masterís degree in mental health discipline.
- Licensed as a Mental Health Counselor, Clinical Social Worker, or Marriage and Family Therapist at the time of application (please specify jurisdiction and date license was granted).
- Eligible for licensure as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Licensed Social Worker, or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the State of Washington and gain licensure within six months of beginning position.
- Demonstrated clinical experience and commitment to working with a variety of diverse and underrepresented populations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide brief and focused counseling.
- Experience providing risk assessment and crisis response.
- Experience facilitating counseling groups.
- Experience working as a part of a collaborative team providing clinical services in a fast-paced work setting.
- Licensed two or more years as a licensed mental health counselor, licensed clinical social worker, or licensed marriage and family therapist.
- Experience working in a college or university counseling center (practicum/internship may be included).
- WA state approved supervisor.
- Experience providing outreach and consultation to young adults with diverse racial/ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated competency in providing bilingual therapy.
- Experience and skills with Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT).
- Experience providing Trans-affirming services.
- Experience and skills with use of technology to enhance services (such as electronic health records, web-based applications, etc.).
Information and Application Process Instructions
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Applicants should submit their application materials via Westernís online application http://www.wwu.edu/hrjobs/
Complete applications require: (1) a letter of application that must specifically address the listed job qualifications, (2) a current vita, and (3) three references (2 references must be able to speak in some detail about the applicantís clinical skills and expertise).
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Western Washington University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...