Senior Financial Aid Specialist
Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Overview of position: Summary of position’s responsibilities: The senior specialist provides counseling to students on the manner of integrating their financial concerns, relative to personal and/or academic problems. This position manages a caseload of student's files, assesses an individual student's financial need and ascertains the student's eligibility to participate in federal, state, and/or institutional aid programs.
A Senior Financial Aid Specialist performs the following:
- Analyzes financial information submitted by students;
- Provides counseling to students and assists students and parents in the preparation of pertinent forms;
- Conducts financial aid workshops/conferences and completes all internal and external reports;
- Evaluates the academic status of each applicant;
- Keeps abreast of current federal regulations and guidelines pertaining to the student financial aid program;
- Assists in administering the Title IV federal aid programs;
- Assists in monitoring federal campus-based and institutional program expenditures;
- Assists in monitoring regulatory changes and assist in making required changes;
- Assists with the completion of federal and state reports;
- Assists in setting up and reviewing Tracking codes and Tracking Letters;
- Runs the automated packaging program;
- Oversees the file transfers and DOE-load process;
- Processes Pell Disbursement Records thru Common Origination and Disbursement(COD);
As a requirement of this position, Baltimore City Community college will expect the incumbent to provide and be evaluated on the effective delivery of services through evening and weekend coverage at off-campus sites as deemed necessary, cross-training in related functions to support operational efficiency, provide as appropriate instruction and or instructional support in a manner that best enhances student learning and success.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Education or related field;
- Three (3) years in Financial Aid, or Admission office experience;
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy, professionalism, and a customer service orientation;
- Knowledge of financial aid counseling, verification, rules, and knowledge of federal regulations;
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and/or word processing;
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite, the internet and student data systems;
- Ability to work individually or as a team in a dynamic organization;
- Good interpersonal communication skills;
- Must be literate in the English language and able to comprehend, give, and follow both written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to organize and make decisions;
- Ability to relate well with a diverse student population;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy, and judgment in dealing with all customers;
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others;
- Downloads any Department of Education's software needed to assist in awarding financial aid;
- Downloads and updates software from the Department of Education;
- Completes Consortium Agreement Forms;
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university;
- Five (5) years in Financial Aid, or Admission office experience;
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for these positions, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...