Academic Advisor for Student Athletes Stanford University
Job ID: 81920
VPUE Unit: Undergraduate Advising and research
Job Code: 7503
Status: Full-time, exempt, continuing
Heralded as a hub of undergraduate innovation, the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) creates and sustains meaningful interactions between students and faculty both within and outside the classroom. As a team member of VPUE, you have a unique opportunity to advance and support programs that touch and enhance the lives of every undergraduate student at Stanford.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) seeks an Academic Advisor for Student-Athletes within the office of Undergraduate Advising and Research (UAR). The Academic Advisor for Student-Athletes works closely with coaching staffs, athletic department administrators, faculty, academic advisors, and other campus offices who are involved in the academic lives of undergraduate student-athletes. This position ensures student-athletes are presented with a broad base of opportunities with which to optimize their experience at Stanford. The Academic Advisor for Student-Athletes implements and interprets university and department policies, and identifies and resolves complex issues using expert technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide direct advising to a cohort of student-athletes on a range of issues including academic progress and policies in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to student-athletes in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues. Counsel student-athletes and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Collaborate with a wide variety of colleagues across campus to provide guidance and counsel to student-athletes to ensure continued eligibility.
- Interpret and implement academic policies.
- Serve as NCAA academiceligibility expert to undergraduate departments, varsity coaches, and student-athletes; participate in quarterly and annual review of student-athlete transcripts to assess eligibility.
- Administer a specialized program for student-athletes and analyze effectiveness. Develop and implement programming and make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices for the Athletic Academic Resource Center (AARC) and organizational change to improve AARC processes and workflow.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons. Represent department and university at meetings and events such as athletic recruit meetings.
To be successful in this position you will have:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to campus partners, managers, and other key stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to review and analyze the NCAA Certification process.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse student body.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with university policies.
*-Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
In addition, preferred credentials include:
- Advanced degree
- Participation as a Division I student-athlete, and/or experience working with Division I student-athletes
Information and Application Process Instructions
About the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) and UAR and the Athletic Advising Resource Center (AARC)
The mission of the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) is to partner with Stanford faculty, staff, and students to produce and educate knowledgeable, engaged citizens and creative, confident leaders for our future world.
UAR is dedicated to introducing students to the full intellectual richness of undergraduate study at Stanford, supporting a diverse student population in their academic and intellectual pursuits, and instilling students with a deep sense of identity and community at Stanford.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven individuals to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing opportunities. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
If you're ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to explore this opportunity and apply online. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background and experience in athletic academic advising and working with elite student-athletes.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://careersearch.stanford.edu/jobs/academic-advisor-for-student-athletes-5382
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Stanford University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...