Postdoctoral Fellow / Research Scientist – Medical Devices
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Harvard Medical School
We are interested in bringing together specialized knowledge from various scientific and engineering disciplines and applying them to solve real-life issues. One of our major focuses is developing and translating micro/nanotechnologies with clinical diagnostic applications in medicine and biology.
We are currently looking for eager Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Fellows to assist in the development of low-cost, point-of-care diagnostics for rapid detection of infectious diseases/cancer through quantification of target bioagents, including biomarkers, bacterial pathogens, and viruses in biological samples such as whole blood, urine, and saliva. The successful candidates will be intimately involved in every stage of the biosensing device development, including the design, prototyping, optimization and validation.
Functioning very independently and leading highly interdisciplinary and complex bioengineering projects by daily mentorship of research technicians and undergraduate and graduate research trainees with broad backgrounds in engineering, biology, computer programing, and infectious diseases. The Postdoc / Research Scientist will also perform high level, complex research experiments. On a regular basis, s/he will contribute to scientific literature, reports and presentations. Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for research advancement.
In addition to helping the Principal Investigator (PI) to achieve the aims of the currently active projects in the lab, the Postdoc / Research Scientist helps the PI to continuously develop novel ideas and open up new lines of relevant research in the lab with the potential in securing future funding from different sources such as NIH, DoD, NSF, etc. S/he will also help the PI in translational aspect of the projects and technologies developed in the lab. S/he will help in identifying governmental and non-governmental funding agencies interested in the technologies developed in the lab. S/he will also help the PI in grant writing and fund raising.
- Develop microfluidic devices for point-of-care detection of infectious diseases
- Design and develop diagnostic assays (immunoassays, nucleic acid tests, and loop medicated isothermal amplification assays)
- Strong passion and experience in nano and microtechnologies
- Independently leads interdisciplinary teams with backgrounds in engineering and biology.
- Work closely with a range of scientists to design experimental protocols and develop workflows and pipelines for bioengineering projects that involves developing mobile health diagnostics and digital health systems.
- Researches, develops, designs, executes and interprets research experiments.
- Contributes for scientific literature, reports and presentations.
- Investigates, creates and development new methods and technologies for research advancement.
- Identifies sources of funding relevant to the technologies developed in the lab.
- Write/review reports, proposals, invention disclosures, and scientific articles
- Supervises undergraduate and graduate students and research technicians and provides training and troubleshooting to colleagues.
- Develops new lines of research specially in using machine learning techniques in medicine
- PhD/MS in relevant field with extensive experience in point-of-care diagnostics, microfluidic systems, microfabrication, inanotechnology, and mmunoassays.
- Strong communicational and organizational skills for collaborating with interdisciplinary teams of engineers, biologists, and virologists.
- Experience with electrochemical/optical biosensors
- Creativity, self-starter, tough-minded, self-confident, and attention to details
Additional Desirable Skills
- Prior publications in high impact journals
- Prior graduate-level research in areas such as cell biology, microbiology, genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, etc.
- Passion and experience in image processing, programming, and medical device prototyping.
- Experience in a variety of techniques used in nanotechnology such as Uv-vis spectroscopy, FTIR spectroscopy, ICPMass spectroscopy, TEM, SEM, etc.
- Experience in the development of portable optical-based sensors
- Proficiency in biochemical assays, immunochemistry, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), loop-medicated isothermal amplification (LAMP), ELISA, and cell culture.
- Experience in developing surface chemistry protocols on microfluidic devices.
- Experience with real time target protein/nanoparticle detection on-chip
- Experience with 3D modern rapid prototyping tools (3D printing, PDMS, laser cutter, etc)
- Proficiency in statistical analysis methods, including Bland Altman. Experience working with statistical analysis software such as prism and minitab
Information and Application Process Instructions
- Please send your CV and cover letter to Harvardnanomed@gmail.com
When inquiring or applying for these positions, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Harvard Medical School and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Chair of the Search Committee
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Chair of the Search Committee
Please Apply as Included Above
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...