Baltimore City Community College
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Reporting to the Manger of Accounting, the Senior Accountant performs general accounting functions that are complex and broad in nature, specializing in general ledger activity and financial reporting. The General Accounting Senior Accountant performs various accounting and fiscal functions for the General Accounting Department (under the Controller). This includes general ledger posting and analysis, monthly, quarterly and annual closing of the general ledger, prepares the monthly reconciliations for the general ledger including the cashier’s operations, the Bookstore, and WBJC-FM Radio. The Senior Accountant is a backup for the Tuition Receivable reconciliation as well as the reconciliation of the College’s Capital Assets. The Senior Accountant is responsible for reviewing all Working Fund requests for completeness and accuracy and preparing reimbursement requests.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for preparing quarterly financial statements for WBJC-FM Radio and the College Bookstore and assisting in the financial statements fo the College. The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting with the year-end close of the College as well as preparation of schedules and tasks for the various audits and assisting in the preparation of the College’s various Financial Statements.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting in the compliance of the State issued credit cards (CPC) including analyzing transactions. Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Extensive knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office applications Database skills;
- Knowledge of Higher Education accounting practices;
- Broad knowledge of general accounting principles and practices;
- Application of a working knowledge of the principles, concepts, and theories of accounting and a demonstrated ability to apply accounting practices;
- Proven ability to analyze complex data, develop financial reports and have a strong ability to interpret financial transactions and events for users who rely on this data;
- Ensure critical deadlines are met;
- Demonstrated ability to practice efficient time management and to prioritize workload as well as flexibility to deal with a constantly changing environment;
- Understanding of accounting concepts and functions such as fund accounting, general ledger organization, account reconciliations, journal entries, grant accounting, and financial statement preparation;
- Strong organizational, analytic, interpersonal, and customer service skills; ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing; ability to work under pressure and comply with deadlines;
- Integrity, the highest ethical standards and the ability to handle confidential information appropriately;
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the monthly general ledger closing functions;
- Responsible for the quarterly general ledger closing functions and preparation of the WBJC-FM Radio and Bookstore Financial Statements;
- Assist in the quarterly preparation of the College’s Financial Statements;
- Assist in the year-end general ledger closing functions and year-end adjustment period accrual journal entries;
- Responsible for monthly reconciliations of the general ledger balance sheet accounts including all accounts related to the Bookstore operations, cashier operations, non-student accounts receivables, and serves as a backup to the monthly reconciliations of Tuition Receivables and Property;
- Prepares trial balances for the year-end closeout of the restricted Fund, Loan Fund, Plant Fund, and General Fund;
- Preparing reports for management as needed;
- Manage the quarterly inventory taking for the Bookstore including analyzing the variances during the inventory and ensuring the variances are addressed; Once finalized, post the inventory with the Bookstore Manager and/or designee;
- Work with internal and external auditors and provide assistance and necessary schedules and documents as requested;
- Reconcile the credit card receipts from student payments to merchant services statements;
- Monthly reconciliation of Bookstore sales, sales tax, financial aid, interdepartmental transactions, third party, credit cards, and cash from the POS system to FMIS;
- Performing various analysis of the College’s Corporate Purchasing Card program on a monthly basis to ensure transactions meet State compliance. Assistance in the monthly administrative compliance of the program;
- Review reconciliations, journal entries and other miscellaneous work of team members and to serve as back-up when needed;
- Provide assistance with fiscal year-end audit and financial statements by preparation of supporting audit schedules;
- Manage all Working Fund requests for accuracy and completeness and preparation for reimbursement;
- Provide ad hoc analytical support and perform special projects as needed;
- Review daily cashier reports for the Cashier’s Office and Bookstore;
- Investigate any differences between the Student System and FMIS and the Bookstore System and the paperwork;
- Assist in the selection and implementation of a new Property Inventory Asset System;
- Assist in the daily Student System, FMIS and Cashier downloads and uploads to Access;
- BA/BS Field of Study: Accounting or Finance required
- Experience: 3-4 years in Accounting required examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting system output, records, and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
- Experience in an institution of Higher Education and familiarity with Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Experience using FMIS
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
Information and Application Process Instructions
Why Work at BCCC?
Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a crossroads of diverse peoples, of learning and work, and the multiplicity of stakeholders we serve: individuals, businesses, government and educational institutions of the community at large.
Our employees enjoy a collegial environment that is both challenging and welcoming. We stay innovative as we strive to be the leader in providing quality education that responds to and meets the needs of a diverse population of learners. Students come here to change their lives through education.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Applications: Please apply online.
Explore this and other current employment opportunities at BCCC by visiting the search openings listed at Baltimore City Community College jobs
When inquiring or applying for these positions, please reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Baltimore City Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...