Career and Academic Counselor
Bowling Green State University, Firelands
The Career and Academic Counselor is part of the broad team of professional academic advising staff at the University. The position will be responsible for providing academic advising to students who identify as undecided, or to students in declared majors who are considering other program options. The position will also provide advice regarding academic and career direction for current students and alumni in transition- changing majors, changing careers, preparing for internships, etc.
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor and in accordance with university academic strategies, the position will provide essential support and service to students and contribute to the universityís goals of promoting student learning, development, and success, as well as student persistence and retention. Additionally, this staff member will participate and assist with both university and college recruitment and retention efforts, serve on university, college, and community committees, and participate in university and college-specific training and development.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Undecided and Exploring Student Advising
- Advise current students, prospective students, and alumni who identify as undecided or who are considering changing majors or programs. Provide assistance with career and academic direction through academic advising, career counseling, course planning, major selection, degree requirements, university policies and procedures, and registration procedures.
- Design and implement comprehensive career development/ planning programs to infuse career development in curricula and courses. As needed, train faculty and staff on career development and career pathways.
- Utilize current and emerging technology and available data to complete essential advising duties, processes, and communication with students to support and foster retention, persistence, and success (e.g. CSS/MyBGSU, EAB/SSC, successNET/early alert, DARS, Schedule Planner, Canvas, Query, Data Warehouse/STARS, etc.).
- Review student academic progress and performance and advise students on specific actions regarding academic and career goals.
- Refer students to appropriate BGSU and non-BGSU support offices and/or organizations as needed to support student success.
- May be responsible for advising a specific population/cohort of students, requiring additional specialized knowledge and skills.
- Additional college and/or academic program specific duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Maintain and update student files and records in accordance with federal, state and university regulations.
Undecided and Exploring Student Services
- Develop an annual calendar of career events and activities. Represents unit at campus and community events.
- Provide job search assistance including resume and cover letter review and advice, mock interviews, and information on how and where to search for jobs.
- Provide outreach presentations and career-related workshops to local schools and businesses. Develop, coordinate, and conduct seminars and workshops on topics related to career, employment, academic and personal development.
- Create and execute events designed to help students select a major, explore career options, and find a job.
- May be responsible for developing programming efforts and intervention strategies for targeted and identified populations of at-risk students.
- Participate and/or assist in planning and implementing New Student Orientation, Welcome and other advising activities, as well other events on- and off-campus to advise prospective students of college specific requirements (Events may include Falcon Friday, Preview Day, Presidentsí Day, regional college events, etc., and other specialized events within a college/department. May include evenings and/or weekends).
- Maintain expertise in trends and research on career counseling, especially in higher education.
- Maintain career services web page and communication.
- Interacts and responds to inquiries from students, staff, faculty, and community constituents about career and employment related issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Understanding of the functions of an institution of higher education, including academic and student affairs
- Comprehensive knowledge of university degree programs, especially those degrees granted by BGSU;
- Knowledge of University academic policies and procedures as well as support services;
- Knowledge of computer applications including but not limited to: Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, People Soft/CSS, an ability to learn and adopt other technologies, and comfort level to use computer database, word processing, spreadsheet programs and web-based applications
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Active listening skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to interact well with students, parents, faculty, administrators and other members of the campus and community
- Knowledge of developmental advising strategies
- Knowledge of or ability to learn student development theories and career development theory
- Compassionate and caring attitude toward working with students
- Effective in working with diverse populations
- Lifelong learner
Master's Degree required, (particular advising academic discipline, Counseling, Communication, College Student Personnel, Student Affairs in Higher Education, or related field). Successful candidate must have Masterís degree conferred at the time of application.
Also the following experience is required:
- 1-2 years of advising experience or 2 years graduate assistantship in advising or career services.
Information and Application Process Instructions
To apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Bowling Green State University, Firelands and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Please Apply as Included Above
Bowling Green State University
Send your resume for this job...
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...