Lecturer in Mathematics (0.5-1.0 FTE)
Lecturer in Mathematics (0.5-1.0 FTE) Vacancy number 219280
The University of Groningen, Faculty of Economics and Business, is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Mathematics within the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance as of August 2019.
The Lecturer will teach in the BSc of Econometrics and Operations Research (BSc EOR). During the past three years, this programme has attracted more than 150 first-year student enrollments each year. The department is also responsible for the subsequent MSc in Econometrics, Operations Research & Actuarial Studies, which attracts about 20-30 students on average.
The Lecturer in Mathematics is expected to contribute to teaching and course development in the BSc EOR. The lecturer will primarily teach mathematics courses to first-year BSc EOR students. These courses cover topics related to calculus and mathematical analysis. The lecturer may also teach other courses, possibly in other programmes, such as statistics and probability theory. Depending on the research fit of the lecturer with the department, research time may also be allocated.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 gross per month to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (salary scale 11) for a full-time position
- an appointment of 0.5-1.0 FTE for a period of four years
- 8% holiday allowance
- 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favorable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
We expect you to start by August 2019.
To qualify you should have:
- a PhD in (Applied) Mathematics, or in a mathematical field of Econometrics
- a genuine interest in first-year students, who have to bridge the gap between high-school and university-level mathematics
- a proven ability to develop and teach mathematics courses to students in the BSc EOR and other programmes at the faculty
- a University Teaching Qualification or willingness to obtain this qualification
- excellent organizational qualities and social communication skills
- proficiency in English.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
- a motivation letter
- a complete curriculum vitae
- three letters of recommendation; letters of recommendation can be sent by email to Mrs. Ellie Jelsema, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- recent teaching evaluations
- a short statement of your teaching accomplishments and future teaching goals.
You can submit your application until 30 May 11.59pm / before 31 May 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form, please see: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/overview?reply=00347-02S00072RP
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Prof. Niels Hermes, Head of the Department, email: email@example.com
Prof. Laura Spierdijk, Program Director BSc EOR, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
Department of Economics, Econometrics & Finance: https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/departments/eef/
Research institute Economics, Econometrics & Finance: https://www.rug.nl/research/eef/
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com