Vice President Institutional Advancement
D'Youville College invites nominations for, and inquiries and applications from, individuals interested in taking on a transformational leadership opportunity as Vice President of Institutional Advancement (VPIA). Located on the vibrant, diverse West Side of Buffalo NY, D'Youville is an innovative, private, coeducational institution serving 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
D'Youville is immersed in ambitious and exciting change initiatives to reframe traditional practices and structures to further grow enrollment, improve the health of the community, and profoundly impact student success. The College seeks a dynamic vice president and team member who will lead strategic visioning, direct a college-wide institutional advancement program designed to build and strengthen relationships with a broad range of constituencies and to encourage the advocacy of, investment in, and support of the college’s initiatives, programs, and students, and execute bold fundraising innovations for the College. The vice president will be responsible for performing at a high level in a fast-paced fundraising environment with both early and long-term success anticipated.
The VPIA is a member of the President’s Council and works closely with the president, vice presidents and emerging leadership team to provide support for innovation and creativity leading to student success, student equity, and institutional effectiveness. The new vice president will collaborate with other staff and faculty members to assess fundraising needs and options, as well as alumni, community citizens, and other donors in the raising of funds for the College. The new vice president will assume the position around June 1, 2019 and will report to the President.
Founded in 1908, D'Youville was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women. Honoring its Catholic heritage and longstanding commitment to service, D'Youville welcomes students from every culture, faith and background. The College seeks a vice president who understands the changing landscape of higher education, and who can provide compelling leadership for inclusive excellence as we strive to expand opportunity to diverse learners, including adults, first generation, low income, and other students historically underrepresented in higher education.
Buffalo, the second largest city in New York, is home to 21 institutions of higher education, world renowned cultural attractions, two major and two minor league professional sports teams, and year-round outdoor activities. D'Youville is located in close proximity to Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Reporting directly to the President, the incumbent is responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of all institutional fundraising programs, including major gifts, corporate/foundation support, alumni and donor relations, and the cultivation and stewardship of current and prospective benefactors; serves as a member of the President’s Council, supervises annual giving, alumni engagement, grants development, major planned giving, donor records, and the Kavinoky Theatre. The candidate will be expected to set strategy for a fast-paced fundraising environment with both early and long-term success.
Examples of Duties
- Work closely with the President to advance the mission of the college through fundraising, communication and alumni outreach.
- Develop, articulate and implement a comprehensive strategic plan for all fundraising activities including the annual campaign.
- Serve as a member on President’s Council.
- Direct/supervise the activities of the institutional advancement department to execute a dynamic and multi-platform fundraising plan, including major gifts, corporate and foundation support, capital campaign and planned giving components.
- Cultivate and solicit select prospects for fundraising purposes.
- Prepare and administer an annual budget for the institutional advancement department.
- Reconcile monthly revenue with the college’s business office.
- Prepare regular reports for the President on department activities and revenue.
- Possess courtesy, tact, sound professional judgment, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial leader and team builder.
- Possess strong strategic planning skills, be an effective manager and a proven development professional.
Acceptable Training and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college or university, an advanced degree is preferred.
- 7-10 years business experience including fundraising, alumni engagement, corporate giving and/or estate planning, public relations, marketing, and administration.
- Major gift solicitation experience and/or significant fundraising experience.
- Fundraising credentials, such as the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Certified Fun Raising Executive (CRFE).
Individuals interested in the Vice President of Institutional Advancement (VPIA) position, please attach a cover letter, resume, and list of three references.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D’Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com