Otis College of Art and Design is accepting applications for a full‐time faculty appointment in Foundation, specifically in the Foundation Creative Practice and 2-D programs. The Creative Practice program in Foundation is a transdisciplinary program that includes critical investigation using media from drawing, building, to video and performance. This transdisciplinary teaching position reports to the Chair of Foundation.
Classes: Foundation Program, Creative Practice I and Creative Practice II
Creative Practice I: A first semester Foundation course focused on studying, researching and exploring practices of creativity that bridge art/design disciplines. Through a variety of methodologies, lecture, research and discussion, Creative Practice I provides students opportunities to develop perceptual abilities in ways that incite curiosity and attenuate engagement with inquiry. Learning to ‘see’ students question their assumptions of what and how they observe complex visual relationships, locate bias, and develop awareness of context and intentionality of their own work and that of peers and exemplars. Projects are self-directed and non-discipline specific.
Creative Practice II: A second semester Foundation course focused on studying, researching and exploring practices of creativity that bridge art/design disciplines. Students are exposed to a diverse range of concepts, materials, and methods for thinking and working creatively. In-class activities promote the documentation of individual creative processes and the synthesis of intuitive, culturally-constructed, and personal impulses into inventive visual responses. Recommended for students planning to select Product Design as their major.
Trandisciplinary Foundation Faculty Responsibilities:
•Full‐time contact hour load, 18 contact hours per week (15 hours per week if teaching only 3 hour classes)
•Provide a minimum of 6 hours on average per week service to the Foundation Department as assigned by the Chair of Foundation including curricular support
•Timely response to administrative responsibilities related to teaching and assessment
•Enhance the visibility of the department through on‐ and off‐campus events.
• MFA degree in art/design required.
• Minimum three years college-level art and design teaching experience
• Demonstrated ability to teach first‐year art and design fundamentals with an expertise and substantial knowledge of historical and contemporary artists and designers
• Demonstrated ability to teach design in both analog and digital formats, including video editing
• Engaged in researching and developing new pedagogical approaches
• A keen interest in Foundation Education
• Must be able to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body and our team of professional artists/designers/educators
• Professional standing as a practicing/exhibiting artist and/or designer
• At least 5 years college‐level teaching experience in Foundation and upper division design courses in an accredited college
• Demonstrated ability to develop a successful course relating to fundamental to the Principles of Art and Design
• Preference will be given to applicants able to teach in other areas of the Foundation program or Liberal Arts and Sciences, depending on the qualifications of the candidate and needs of the college, i.e., 2 and 3-D Design, Drawing and/or first year courses in Liberal Arts and Sciences
• Willingness to learn and teach html coding and/or other programming languages
Interested candidates must apply via Otis' website at https://otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com