Vice President for Academic Affairs
Kankakee Community College
As Chief Academic Officer s/he has ultimate academic administrative responsibility and provides vision and leadership to programs and services for instruction, tutoring services, and workforce development. Supervises the areas of Instruction and Workforce Development, the Learning Resource Center, Adult Education, and tutoring services, plus all grants and services related to these areas. Provides oversight responsibilities for the following programs/services -- Study Abroad, Dual Credit, Phi Theta Kappa, and Early College. The CAO also serves as a member of the president’s cabinet.
- Provides vision, leadership, direction, implementation, and evaluation to those programs which assist students and other stakeholders to achieve their educational, learning, and personal development objectives.
- Supervises, supports, and develops the efforts and skills of all academic administrators including the Academic Associate Deans, Assistant Deans of Adult & Community Education and Continuing Education & Career Services and Career Education administrators as structured.
- Supports initiatives to ensure the college’s compliance with requirements established by the Illinois Community College Board, The Higher Learning Commission and all other specialized accrediting agencies for the institution and/or programs.
- Provides leadership and assistance with the articulation, development, implementation, and execution of the college’s Strategic Plan and all measureable outcomes associated with the plan.
- Responsible for fostering and supporting innovation and continuous quality improvement by focusing on institutional performance research data in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Develops and articulates the long-term vision and strategic plan to guide the instructional goals for the college relative to the institutional strategic plan.
- Is responsible for developing, administering, and providing oversight of the Board-approved budget in the areas of responsibility.
- Makes tenure recommendations to the president.
- Provides leadership and oversight for the professional development of faculty, administrators, and staff within academic affairs and conducts or reviews the performance evaluation of faculty, administrators and staff as appropriate.
- Provides leadership for the ongoing development, implementation, and enhancement of KCC’s learning outcomes assessment program to ensure the achievement of learning goals.
- Analyzes the effectiveness and appropriateness of the programs and services and guides quality improvements to programs and services relative to meeting the needs of the college’s constituents.
- Provides leadership, support, and coordination in the identification, development, approval and implementation of new programs and services based on the needs of the communities and regional workforce.
- Provides guidance and leadership in incorporating various forms of successful delivery models for instruction, i.e. on-line, hybrid, etc.
- Coordinates the development of the class schedule in conjunction with the instructional and program administrators.
- Provides leadership to strengthen articulation and collaboration with educational institutions including K-12, specifically area high schools and career center, state-wide and regional transfer institutions, as well as public agencies, business, and industry by facilitating close working relationships between faculty, staff, and administrators at KCC and partnering organizations.
- Maintains and develops partnerships, and serves as liaison with business and industry to assure that the college is meeting their educational and training needs.
- Has responsibility for overseeing, reviewing and recommending policy and policy changes related to instruction, in consultation with faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Represents the college at community events and activities by participating in community organizations which support and strengthen the college’s programs and mission.
- Coordinates the selection process of new faculty and staff under his/her supervision.
- Works with the leadership team to identify, recruit, and develop qualified faculty and staff.
- Collaborates with the President and the leadership team in advancing the mission and priorities of the college.
- Has primary responsibility for coordinating and proposing the annual academic calendar.
- Administers College compliance with faculty collective bargaining agreements and serves on the negotiating teams.
- Coordinates with Human Resources staff for the advertising of vacancy notices and the conducting of interviews for full time faculty.
- Provides leadership to the Curriculum and Academic Standards Committee and other college committees as appropriate.
- Serves as the coordinator for requesting and assigning committee responsibilities for academic/instructional personnel.
- Performs all necessary performance evaluations.
- Performs other duties as requested by the President.
Educational and Experiential Requirements and Expectations:
- Qualified candidates must have an earned Doctorate from an accredited institution or substantial progress towards the degree required;
- Minimum three years of successful educational administrative experience required; community college experience at the dean’s level (or equivalent) or higher required.
- Must be committed to the mission, vision, purpose, and core values of Kankakee Community College.
- Qualified candidate must have exceptional oral/presentation, reading, writing, listening and computation skills as well as be well versed in computer literacy.
- Successful candidate must be committed to continuous quality improvement, academic and training success for students, and exceptional service to students.
- Qualified candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience preferably at the community college level.
- Successful candidate must demonstrate collaborative team working skills with the ability to successfully work across all divisions of the institution.
- Qualified candidate must demonstrate knowledge of current trends in K-12, Workforce Development, Career Training, and Higher Education.
- Qualified candidate must also be familiar with various assessment tools to measure quality improvement, i.e., Noel Levitz, CCSSE, SSI, etc. and must be committed to utilizing data for informed decisions.
- Experience in contract interpretation is required along with contract negotiations using Interest Based Bargaining (or similar process) is preferred.
- Successful candidate must demonstrate an appreciation, understanding and support for the diverse populations served by community colleges.
- Successful candidate must also possess exceptional conflict resolution skills.
Information and Application Process Instructions
Position to begin July 1, 2019.
Please apply online at www.kcc.edu/jobs. Include a cover letter, resume and unofficial transcripts in order to receive full consideration.
KCC encourages applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of KCC’s student body and community, and who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures.
KCC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Kankakee Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
more information or to submit your resume you can contact
Human Resources Department
as shown below.
If you apply for this position, please say you saw it first on www.AcademicCareers.com. Thank you.
Human Resources Department
Please Apply as Included Above
Tell a Friend About This Job
Enter your friend's email address...