Laboratory Technician, Photography & Art
South Orange County Community College District
Irvine Valley College
Laboratory Technician, Photography & Art
Initial Screening Date 05/10/2019
Pay Range: 122 - Step 1 = $2,051
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
Under direction from the Dean of Fine Arts and Media Technology or designee such as the Department Chair, assists in the preparation of materials and demonstrations for an assigned instructional area; operates and demonstrates use of specialized equipment, supplies and materials; provides assistance to students within the assigned subject area including both photography and art; and maintains the general cleanliness of the assigned laboratory. May oversee and provide work direction to work study students.
Positions in the Lab Technician class are distinguished from the Senior Lab Technician by the level of responsibility assumed. In comparison to the Senior Lab Technician, positions at this level are assigned to less complex labs, have less exposure to hazardous or otherwise dangerous materials, and limited involvement in budget activities and ordering of supplies and equipment. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
• Operational characteristics of laboratory apparatus, equipment and materials pertaining to assigned laboratory and subject area.
• Theories and applications of the assigned subject matter.
• Principles and practices of laboratory operations.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies used within the assigned laboratory.
• Methods and techniques of digital photography.
• Operational characteristics of various printing and scanning equipment and apparatus.
• Proper handling and disposal of materials related to digital photography.
• Principles of digital image capture, scanning and output device functionality.
• Operational characteristics of digital image scanning and manipulation software.
• Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing.
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Assist in the preparation of instructional materials and demonstrations for an assigned subject area.
• Correctly and efficiently set up laboratory equipment and materials used in exercises and experiments.
• Operate and demonstrate the proper use of specialized equipment, supplies and materials.
• Provide assistance to students on matters related to assigned laboratories.
• Properly dispose of old ink and waste according to environmental regulations.
• Identify and troubleshoot problems with photography equipment.
• Operate, understand the mechanical function of and perform routine maintenance and repairs on laboratory equipment within assigned area.
• Maintain the cleanliness of assigned laboratory.
• Interpret and apply department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
• Maintain an adequate inventory of materials for instructional programs.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to two years of college level course work in photography or a related field.
Two years of increasingly responsible photography experience.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within the South Orange County Community College District and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com